No one appreciates feeling “used” for what they have to offer. However, people love helping out friends with whom they share a strong relationship. Building real relationships is essential to every facet of our lives. Ron Clark, Director of BYU Public Affairs and Guest Relations for the past 28-years, teaches us all be more successful at connecting with people in this webcast (http://bit.ly/byualumni_webcast).
- Be kind, open, and honest in your communication.
- Be sincere and to the point. Let others know your intentions.
- Networking involves emotionally celebrating and commiserating with people.
- Emotion is lost through electronic communication.
- Networking is friendshipping. Truly desire to have the other person as a friend.
Tips on initiating business friendships:
- Desire to love people.
- Be yourself.
- Let down your guard.
- Be confident. Help people feel comfortable with you by being the one to break the “awkward ice.” Extend your hand and bring them in by the elbow.
- Show just a little bit of wit. People like to see a little bit of crazy. Find the common denominator that makes you both laugh.
- At the end of the exchange, the hope is to be able to be such close friends that you desire to hug one another goodbye.
Start truly networking today!